This Vegan Potato Soup is creamy and rich and full of potato and carrot chunks. It's savory, delicious, and the perfect thing to serve on a cold day.
This Vegan Potato Soup is so delicious and filling. It's one of my favorite recipes when the weather starts to get colder. The creamy and rich texture from the coconut milk is made even thicker by the tender potato chunks. We half blend this soup to give it a nice thick broth, perfect for warming you up and satisfying your hunger.
Made with vegetables, spices, and veggie broth, this recipe is super simple. It's also versatile and easy to add to or make substitutions based on what you have on hand. I love that it's easy to tweak, making it fresh and interesting for my family no matter how many times I serve it. This soup is comfort food at its best and you'll love how quick and simple it is. Let's look at the main ingredients that you'll be using to make your Vegan Potato Soup.
What you'll need
- Oil. Olive oil, or your favorite kind.
- Onion. Any kind is fine.
- Celery. Optional, but recommended.
- Garlic. Use more or less, depending on your personal preference.
- Bay Leaves.
- Turmeric. For color. Optional.
- Veggie Broth. Mine is fully seasoned. You may need to adjust your salt and pepper depending on what broth you use.
- Coconut Milk. Full-fat unsweetened canned coconut milk, please.
- Salt & Pepper. To taste.
How to make this Vegan Potato Soup
1. Into a medium pot, add the olive oil, onion, and celery. Saute for 6-7 minutes over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic, turmeric, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute.
3. At this point, add the carrots, potatoes, and veggie broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are very tender.
4. Remove the bay leaves from the soup and discard them.
5. Using an immersion blender, process the soup about halfway, until you get a creamy texture, but some large potato and carrot pieces remain.
6. Now pour in the coconut milk, add the parsley, bring it to a gentle simmer, and turn off the heat. Serve.
Tips for the best Vegan Potato Soup
- Chop the potatoes and carrots into smaller pieces. Keep these on the smaller side so that they cook and tenderize more quickly. This makes them easier to blend.
- Use canned coconut milk. Other coconut milks have added sugar and other ingredients. Just use full-fat unsweetened canned coconut milk for the best flavor and creamy texture.
- Remove the bay leaf. Remember to remove these before blending the soup. These can be a choking hazard as they remain tough even after cooking.
- Blend half the soup. This is a great way to get the perfect texture in your Vegan Potato Soup. Only do half so you have a creamy base with some chunks of veggies still whole.
Add-ins and Substitutes
- Substitute other vegetables. You can also use other vegetables, such as chopped cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, or corn.
- Add some heat. Make this a little spicy by adding a touch of cayenne pepper or some Sriracha to the broth.
- Substitute other seasonings. Add springs of rosemary, thyme, oregano, or parsley to this soup for added flavor.
- Add some protein. Make it a more filling meal by adding chopped tempeh bacon, cubed tofu, or black beans.
How to Store
Store any leftovers of this Vegan Potato Soup in an airtight container once it has thoroughly cooled. It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
What to Serve with it
- Bread. Serve this soup with slices of toasted bread with vegan butter, dinner rolls, crackers, or Vegan Cornbread.
- Grains. Enjoy this Vegan Potato Soup with a side of Spinach Rice, Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad, sorghum, couscous, or Quick and Tasty Bulgur Salad.
- Salad. Pair this creamy soup with a green salad, like this Creamy Cucumber Radish Salad, Tomato and Onion Salad, or Vegan Greek Salad.
- Protein. Pair this dish with some Easy Hummus Wraps, Vegan Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwiches, Vegan Black Bean Burgers, or Quick Maple Sriracha Tofu.
I hope you love this Vegan Potato Soup as much as I do. It's utterly delicious, creamy, and flavorful. It really is the ultimate comfort food.
More tasty vegan soup recipes:
Vegan Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or other kind
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder optional, for color
- ½ tsp. salt or to taste (depending on veggie broth used)
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
- 2 large carrots, cut into small cubes
- 4 large potatoes, cut into small cubes (about 2 lbs.)
- 4 cups veggie broth
- ⅓ cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk or other plant milk of choice
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Into a medium pot, add the olive oil, onion, and celery. Saute for 6-7 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute.
- At this point, add the carrots, potatoes, and veggie broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup and discard them.
- Using an immersion blender, process the soup about halfway, until you get a creamy texture, but some large potato and carrot pieces remain.
- Now pour in the coconut milk, add the parsley, bring it to a gentle simmer, and turn off the heat. Serve.