This Tomato and Onion Salad is a refreshing dish that has lots of flavor. Both juicy and crunchy, the simple ingredients in this summer salad make it fresh and delightful, perfect for the season.
This Tomato and Onion Salad is a delicious way to enjoy a healthy side dish with your meals this summer. Fresh, juicy tomatoes served with crisp onions and spicy serrano pepper, these flavors and textures are so great together. The dressing is light to keep the focus on the veggies. I'm sure you'll love serving this with your favorite dishes this season.
Tomatoes are a really healthy ingredient to work with because they contain so many vitamins, minerals, and are full of the antioxidant lycopene. Eating them fresh like this means you lose none of their benefits. Onions, too, are full of antioxidants. So enjoy it knowing that not only is this Tomato and Onion Salad flavorful and easy to make, it's also really good for you. Now let's look more closely at the ingredients you'll be using.
What you'll need
- Tomatoes. Since this is a TOMATO salad, you'll need some flavorful tomatoes. I used organic Roma tomatoes.
- Red Onion. Red onion is a bit milder than white or yellow onion. You can use white or yellow, however, it's best to soak it in icy water for 10-15 minutes once sliced, to get rid of the harsh flavors.
- Serrano Pepper. Or another kind of spicy pepper. You can also use red pepper flakes instead, or even a pinch of cayenne.
- Parsley. Fresh parsley is best, or you can use dried parsley, if fresh is not available.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Or regular vinegar.
- Olive Oil. May skip it, if following a no-oil diet, or use another kind of oil if you prefer.
- Salt & Pepper. Season to taste.
How to make this salad
1. Cut the tomatoes in half, and slice them into very thin half circles (as thin as you can). Slice the onion into very thin quarter circles.
2. Thinly slice the serrano pepper and chop the parsley.
3. Place all of the veggies into a large mixing bowl and add the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Gently toss the ingredients together. Serve.
Tips for making this Tomato and Onion Salad
- Choose the most flavorful tomato. Since it's the star of the dish, look for a tomato that is fresh, firm, heavy for its size, and aromatic. Organic is best if you can find it.
- Use a very sharp knife. You'll need a sharp knife to make this salad, otherwise your tomato slices will be very mushy.
- Soak your onion if you're using yellow or white. Placing the sliced onions in icy water for 10-15 minutes will reduce the sharp pungency that these varieties have. It's not necessary with red ones.
- Allow it to marinate for a little while. Letting this Tomato and Onion Salad sit for an hour or so isn't a bad thing, as it allows the flavors to marinate. Just not too long to avoid mushiness.
Variations to this Salad
- Add different vegetables. You could also enjoy this Tomato and Onion Salad with some sliced cucumbers, avocado, artichokes, or bell pepper.
- Substitute herbs. Parsley works well with these ingredients, but if you prefer other herbs, such as dill, basil, chives, or cilantro, go for it.
- Add some protein. Some chickpeas, cubed tofu, or white beans would be delicious in this salad, and also add to satiation.
This summer salad is great with all kinds of meals. Enjoy it for a quick light lunch or serve it alongside your main course. Tomato and Onion Salad goes well with other sides like Garlic Smashed Potatoes. Or if you want to pair it with pasta, serve it with Sun Dried Tomato Pasta or Creamy Lemon Spaghetti. You might like it with Vegan Potato Pancakes or Vegan Stuffed Peppers. For a grain option, I like quinoa, Rice and Beans, or Spinach Rice. Enjoy this salad with any of your favorite pastas, veggies, proteins, or grains. It's really versatile.
How to Store this Tomato and Onion Salad
You can store Tomato and Onion Salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will last for 2-3 days, but because the tomatoes can get mushy fast, try to eat it as soon as possible, or only make as much as you can eat in a day.
I hope you and your family will enjoy this refreshing and delicious Tomato and Onion Salad as much as I do. It's the perfect thing to serve this summer.
Other yummy salad recipes to try:
- Creamy Cucumber Radish Salad
- Refreshing Chickpea Salad
- Napa Cabbage Salad with Corn
- Cucumber Pasta Salad
Tomato and Onion Salad
- 2 lbs. Roma tomatoes
- ½ medium red onion
- 1 small Serrano pepper (see notes)
- ⅓ cup parsley
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt or to taste
- ⅓ tsp. pepper or to taste
- Cut the tomatoes in half, and slice them into very thin half circles (as thin as you can). Slice the onion into very thin quarter circles.
- Thinly slice the Serrano pepper and chop the parsley.
- Place all of the veggies into a large mixing bowl and add the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Gently toss the ingredients together. Serve.