These Baked Baby Potatoes are the perfect side dish to any main course. Creamy and rich, and cooked with fresh herbs, they’re utterly delicious.
These Baked Baby Potatoes are so tasty, you’ll wonder why you bothered with other potato dishes in the past. Because this type of potato is waxy and creamy, baking then just enhances that rich texture. Fresh garlic adds just the right amount of pungent flavor to make this dish taste amazing.
Golden brown and aromatic, this is a great recipe to bring out when you have guests, especially for the holidays. It’s also easy to make, so it works on busy weeknights, too. Kids love these potatoes, making it a great family dinner dish. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients you’ll need to make these Baked Baby Potatoes.
What you'll need
- Baby Potatoes. These have a creamy texture that’s perfect for this recipe.
- Olive Oil. Or any other type of oil you prefer.
- Oregano. Or dried mint.
- Garlic. You can also use garlic powder.
- Paprika. This adds a touch of smoky flavor and color.
- Salt & Pepper. To taste.
How to make it
1. Rinse and scrub the baby potatoes thoroughly before cutting them in half.
2. Put the potato halves in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring it to a boil and then cook them over medium heat for 7 minutes. Drain the water.
3. Add the olive oil, garlic, oregano, paprika, and salt and black pepper to the drained potatoes and toss everything together carefully.
4. Pour the potatoes out onto a large parchment paper-lined baking pan and lay them cut side down. Bake for 25 minutes at 425°F, or until the sides facing the pan are golden brown. Garnish with fresh dill and serve hot.
Tips for the best Baked Baby Potatoes
- Cut the potatoes in half. This will allow the potatoes to absorb the seasonings and cook better.
- Be careful as you toss the potatoes and seasonings. The potatoes are more tender after cooking, so be gentle as you toss them to avoid breaking them into smaller pieces.
- Bake cut side down. Laying them on their flat side will ensure that the potatoes stay in place and don't roll around. This also gives them a nice crisp layer.
- Make them in the air fryer. Instead of baking you can air fry these potatoes. Just arrange these on an air fryer basket and air fry for 20 minutes. They will come out golden brown and crispy.
Add-ins and Substitutes
- Substitute other potato varieties. The best potatoes to use in this recipe are smaller, creamy types. The best options are baby Red Bliss potatoes and baby Yukon potatoes. But other potatoes can be used if you cut them smaller.
- Add fresh herbs. Fresh rosemary, dill, and thyme give a lot of delicious flavor to these Baked Baby Potatoes. You can also use dried if you have no fresh herbs on hand.
- Use other vegetables. You can bake these potatoes with other vegetables, like carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and zucchini. You may need to cook them more or less than the potatoes, though, to get the texture you want.
- Make them tangy. Add apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning to these potatoes for a tangy finish. You can also serve them with some Vegan Tzatziki Sauce.
How to Store
Store any leftovers of these Baked Baby Potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them once cooled in a ziplock bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating in the microwave, oven, or air fryer.
How to Serve it
- With Dips. Serve these Baked Baby Potatoes with a dip, such as this Vegan Tzatziki Sauce, Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce, or Creamy Zucchini Sauce.
- Alongside Proteins. Pair this side dish with some Quick Maple Sriracha Tofu, Easy Tofu Scramble, Vegan Black Bean Burgers, or Easy Hummus Wraps.
- With Vegetables. Serve them along with Skillet-Braised Brussels Sprouts, Simple Roasted Broccoli, Fajita Vegetables, or Simple Baked Asparagus.
These Baked Baby Potatoes are creamy, herbaceous, and so tasty. They make such a wonderful side dish for so many main courses, you can serve them any night of the week.
More tasty vegan potatoes recipes:
Baked Baby Potatoes
- Rinse and scrub the baby potatoes thoroughly before cutting them in half.
- Put the potato halves in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring it to a boil and then cook them over medium heat for 7 minutes. Drain the water.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, oregano, paprika, and salt and black pepper to the drained potatoes and toss everything together carefully.
- Pour the potatoes out onto a large parchment paper-lined baking pan and lay them cut side down. Bake for 25 minutes at 425°F, or until the sides facing the pan are golden brown. Garnish with fresh dill and serve hot.