This Mushroom Couscous is deliciously savory, but also has the bright flavors of fresh herbs and lemon. This recipe makes a great side dish or main course at any meal.
Servings 4 servings
- 3 tbsp. olive oi
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Moroccan couscous
- 1 ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
In a large skillet, cook the diced onion and mushrooms in olive oil, over medium heat, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms have started to brown.
Remove half of the mushrooms from the skillet and reserve for later.
Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Then add the couscous, salt, pepper, and veggie broth.
Bring the broth to a boil, cover it with a lid, and then turn off the heat. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
Open the lid and add the reserved mushrooms back in. Then add the fresh dill and lemon zest. Stir everything together well. Serve.
- Use Moroccan couscous. This recipe requires Moroccan couscous because they are much smaller than pearl couscous and cook a lot faster.
- Reserve some of the mushrooms. Don't skip the step for reserving some of the mushrooms because they add a lot of flavor and body to this dish when they're added back in at the end. They also make it look prettier.
- Add the dill and lemon zest last. Doing this when everything else is done cooking allows the flavors to stay fresh and strong, and also keeps their colors bright.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Add white wine. For added flavor, you could add a splash of white wine to this couscous. The alcohol will cook off, but the flavor remains.
- Substitute herbs. While I like this dish with fresh dill, you could also use Italian seasoning, parsley, basil, or any other fresh herb that you enjoy.
- Add other vegetables. Spinach, tomatoes, and peas are just some of the options you could try in this Mushroom Couscous.
Calories: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 485mg | Potassium: 491mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 417IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg