Simple Mashed Beans
These Simple Mashed Beans are a quick and easy recipe that can be used as a side dish or on tacos and burritos. This healthy, protein-packed alternative to refried beans is so tasty.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cans white beans (about 820 gr).
- ¾ cup veggie stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- ¼ tsp. salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp. plant butter (plus extra to garnish)
Place all of the ingredients, except for the plant butter, into a medium-sized sauce pan and simmer for about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid evaporates and gets absorbed by the beans.
Turn off the heat and add the plant butter. Then mash the beans with a potato masher until smooth.
To serve, drizzle with some melted plant butter and garnish with parsley.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Give it a citrus kick. These beans can be simmered with some lime juice to give them a tasty citrus flavor. Fresh-squeezed is always better than concentrate for taste.
- Make it spicy. This recipe isn't spicy, but you can easily make it hotter. Use cayenne pepper, chili powder, or garnish with sliced jalapenos or diced green chiles for some kick.
- Substitute different beans. I like this recipe with white beans, but you could also use pinto beans or black beans here. The flavor and texture will be a little different, but still tasty.
- Add some herbs. If you want your Simple Mashed Beans to have an herbaceous flavor, then try some thyme, rosemary, oregano, sage, or any other favorite.
How to Store and Reheat
To store these Simple Mashed Beans, place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can warm them up on the stovetop or microwave. If they are a little dry from the fridge, you can add a splash of vegetable stock or a pat of vegan butter to melt and mix in to the beans as they warm.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 331mg | Potassium: 723mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 196IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 5mg