Easy Lemon Lentil Soup
This Easy Lemon Lentil Soup is hearty and flavorful. With a delicious assortment of ingredients, you'll love serving this healthy dish during the colder months.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or other kind
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
- ⅓ cup chopped dill
In a large pot, saute the chopped onions and grated carrots in the oil, over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes.
Add the cumin and turmeric, and stir. Cook for 1 minute.
At this point, add the potatoes, lentils, and broth. Reduce the heat and cook for about 25 minutes.
Add the salt, pepper, and kale, and cook for 5 more minutes.
Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and dill. Stir and serve.
- Taste test your seasoning. Because the salt level might vary depending on what kind of broth you are using, test your soup and season it to taste. You might also prefer more of something, like pepper or dill, so check that as well.
- Add the kale near the end. The kale can easily overcook and lose its color and texture. Adding it near the end of the cooking time keeps it bright green and with some delicious chew.
- Use green lentils if you can. Green lentils are great because they are high in fiber and protein, as well as minerals and vitamins. They also hold their shape better than other types, making them perfect for longer cook times, like in a soup.
How to Store and Reheat
To store this easy Lemon Lentil Soup, place it in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When you are ready to reheat it, place the soup back in the pot and warm it on the stove top. You can also microwave it for a couple of minutes until heated through.
Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 975mg | Potassium: 901mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6897IU | Vitamin C: 73mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 4mg