– 6 medium bell peppers – ¼ cup olive oil – 1 medium onion, diced – 2 medium carrots, shredded – 1 medium bell pepper, diced – 6 medium crimini mushrooms – 1 ½ cup short-grain rice – 2 cups vegetable broth – 3 cloves garlic, minced – 1 tsp. oregano – ½ tsp. salt or to taste – ½ tsp. pepper or to taste
1. Cut the tops off the peppers. Remove and discard the membranes and seeds. Reserve the bell pepper tops. Place the peppers cut-side up in a baking dish.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
3. After that, add the bell pepper and mushrooms, and saute for 10 minutes.
4. Add the oregano, salt, pepper, rice, and veggie broth. Bring to a boil. Now, reduce the heat to low, cover with a tight lid and cook for about 15 minutes. Add in the garlic and mix everything well.
5. Fill the peppers with the rice mixture and top each with the reserved bell pepper tops. Add about ⅓ cup of water to the baking dish and cover with a foil nicely. Bake at 400F for about 40 mins.
6. After that remove the foil and cook for another 20 minutes, allowing the peppers to brown.
These Vegan Stuffed Peppers are packed full of hearty flavors combined with a subtle hint of sweetness. Perfect for a simple weeknight meal.